Translate

Friday, November 14, 2014

Keeping up with Technology

Artists today have to stretch themselves thin.  Not only do we try to grow and progress as artists, we have to know how to market ourselves.  We juggle making art along with entering juried shows, applying for grants or fellowships, filling out RFP's (Requests for Proposals), soliciting museum gift shops and art galleries and working as teachers or giving workshops. Many of us manage and promote our own websites, design and produce our own print material- postcards, business cards, etc. We have to learn how to use social media-Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, blogs, and on and on.  On the other hand, most of us can afford to do these things as they don't cost hundreds/thousands of dollars.  We have opportunities to broadly market ourselves in ways that would have been too costly in the past.  I used to hire a printing company to produce my print media and it was really expensive. 

It's easy to get lost in the business of art.  I know I find myself doing so much with social media, that two or three weeks go by and I realize I haven't touched any glass!

I would love to write a book on the business of art, but I don't know when I'll ever have time :)

No comments: